Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Garden Harvest


I thought I should share this photo to prove that, indeed, I do have a garden this year and it is producing....in spite of my infrequent posts to this blog! ;-)




I gathered this bounty from the garden last week, in my trusty stainless steel bowl: Cucumbers, Green Beans, Bell peppers and Mini Peppers, Summer Squash, Dill and several varieties of Tomatoes. In the background are two varieties of Rudbeckias I started early from seed this year....Cherry Brandy on the left (which I love for it's deep red color and darker centers) and Denver Daisy on the right. (Park Seed Co.)


Because of our long cool Spring, the garden is quite a bit later than usual, and now we have been experiencing an early fall. I'm not ready to say good-bye to summer.... but alas, it is drawing to a close. I am already making plans for next year's garden. That is the beauty of the garden....it is an ever changing palette for the creative ideas of the gardener. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The first gatherings of the garden in May of salads, radishes and herbs made me feel like a mother about her baby - how could anything so beautiful be mine? And this emotion of wonder filled me for each vegetable as it was gathered every year. There is nothing that is comparable to it, as satisfactory or as thrilling, as gathering the vegetables one has grown.

~ Alice B. Toklas



11 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely harvest with a wonderful backdrop of colorful rudbekia.

FlowerLady

Catherine said...

Wonderful harvest picture, Connie. I would still like to see that Galeaux...any chance of blogging it????

Lisa said...

A delightful harvest and great quotes decorating your blog!!!! We are enjoying our garden too... and I'm thinking of trying to beat the frost and get in one last harvest with a few hearty things.
Lisa

joey said...

More than desserts, I crave veggies and your harvest looks amazing, dear Connie. Our lives are all so busy, always a joy to connect with old (meaning 'connected' old) gardening friends. September ((hugs)).

Meems said...

That's a beautiful harvest, Connie. You did have a short season but like you said... we have to adjust to the conditions whatever they are. Enjoy your cooler weather. :-)
Meems

em said...

i see veg soups in your future! wonderful harvest and the rudbeckias are wonderfully paired. i'm also thinking about pairings next summer... hmmm....

Priscilla @ Homegrown Delight said...

Beautiful looking harvest! Your garden is lovely. Have a great week!

Victoria Williams said...

Well your harvest certainly looks fantastic! Ours has been rather pathetic, partly due to being ignored. (I'll post on the why of that later this month.)

Melissa said...

Thanks for checking in - I didn't have a garden but yours looks very successful despite the short season.

Landscape Orange County said...

Hello! I was just bloghopping and discovered your blog! I so envy your harvest! Wish my garden could produce as much as yours has. And oh, are those cone flowers in the background?

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Your bowl of goodies looks great with the rudbeckias in the background.