Friday, October 23, 2009

Squash Round Up


I was pleased with the squash harvest this year! Anyone who has grown squash knows what a space hog it can be, and this has presented a problem in our moderately sized kitchen garden. So 2 years ago we added three squash rings at the edge of the raised bed garden where the vines can roam, and this spring we added a 15 x 30 foot square garden, dedicated mostly to winter and summer squash, with one row of tomatoes and a row of sunflowers along the back edge. (This has been dubbed 'Steve's Garden', since dear husband did most of the work in it, while I was laid up during the better part of the spring and summer with a frozen shoulder.)



Above photo showcasing this year's harvest. From the top: Dark green Marina de Chioggia (heirloom), Butternut (the largest one near bottom was 12 inches long!), Blue-green Sweetmeat, Orange Sunshine (hybrid), 2 Green Buttercup (only one vine of these came up), Pale orange Australian Butter Squash (heirloom - the largest of these was 10 inches in diameter.)

Buttercup, Butternut, Sweet Meat, and Sunshine varieties are favorites from years past. All have delicious sweet, dry flesh. It was our first year to grow the two heirloom varieties, and we have yet to cook one of them for a taste test.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


[This quote dedicated to my Dad, a North Dakota farmer.
Thank you, Dad.... for your example!]



"Our deep respect for the land and its harvest is the legacy of generations of farmers who put food on our tables, preserved our landscape, and inspired us with a powerful work ethic."

James H. Douglas





15 comments:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

That's a nice looking harvest! How's your shoulder? My sprained knee and strained ankle are getting better after almost 5 weeks. Have you been able to get out and do a little gardening? I'm starting to.

Connie said...

Sue - Shoulder is thawing out, but showing signs of moving to the other shoulder...ugh! I have been able to do some garden clean-up after many months of no gardening. Glad to hear you are doing better, too!

sweetbay said...

That is one beautiful harvest!

Have you tried PT or massage for your shoulder?

Catherine said...

Lovely harvest, Connie! I'm still in Vancouver, so I don't know about mine. Are you saving the seeds from each of these?????

Victoria Williams said...

Wow! I'm really impressed, Connie. What gorgeous looking squashes. (I'm still put off with butternuts from having to peel and chop so many at work, though).
Nice job to your hubby!

Darla said...

Wonderful harvest!

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie~~ I also am impressed! I had to laugh when I saw the Sweet Meat. Years ago I grew this and decided to use it instead of pumpkin for my pumpkin pies. Well, overly sweet doesn't begin to describe it. It was then that I learned that they call it Sweet Meat for a reason! Duh. I wonder if there is a simpler way to cut in to them. This is my biggest issue with winter squash. Their skins and meat are so tough. Maybe I'm the only one with this problem. Maybe it's my cheap knives. Hope your shoulder improves soon and your other shoulder can stave off a similar episode.

Garden Lily said...

What a great range of colours and varieties. Nice harvest!

lynn'sgarden said...

Connie, congrats of this beautiful, colorful harvest. I've actually only heard of Butternut from all that you listed here. An overlooked item for sure in the grocery stores! Hope they are all as yummy as they look.

Connie said...

sweet bay - I am doing exercises and trigger point therapy, which does help.

Cat - They were all grown together so I probably wont' save the seeds as they cross readily. Not sure I want to spend all that time growing them next year, just to have them turn out weird. :-)

Roses and Lilacs said...

You have a great harvest. I love winter squash. Never grow it because, as you say, it takes up so much room.
Marnie

lynn'sgarden said...

Hi Connie, thanks for visiting my fall post and commenting. The foliage you questioned about is from a maple. A small sapping but the leaves were huge with cool markings..it really caught my eye too ;)

em said...

connie, i can't wait to find out how they taste! when do you think you'll cook one? ah, i'm sorry to hear about your frozen shoulder, i hear they are painful to overcome. i've a messed up elbow these days and am really limited in what i can do. i've still more bulbs to plant! oh well. feel better!

em said...

ah, that trigger point therapy can be painful. sorry to hear about the flip flop passing... there are plenty of flip flops in the sea... or something like that... if you are ready to move on... :-)

Leslie said...

a great looking harvest indeed!