Monday, November 24, 2008

More Fungi

As I was giving my compost pile one final turn for the season, I spotted this cute little colony of mushrooms. They were just oh, so photogenic!....so I'm sharing a few photos as an addendum to my previous post, Fall Fungi.




There were around two dozen or so of the little mushrooms , growing together all cozy-like.... shorter ones under the taller ones.





A view from the side. Notice how they branch out like a tree from the bottom? I discovered they were all growing up from a small tree limb, which was buried underneath the compost.




A top view...showing off their fancy 'parasol hats'.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Fall mushrooms, which appear as if by magic in our woodlands and meadows, are as diverse as the many shades of fall leaves.



7 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Good morning! Yes they are very photogenic and pretty, lovely brown colours. /Tyra

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew more about fungi. I find them very difficult to identify as they look so different depending on their age. They are fascinating though!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Mushrooms were the first thing I learned to paint in tole painting class.
Marnie

Anonymous said...

More little shelters for the fairies to hide under during rain. :)

Catherine said...

I LOVE the pattern of distribution too!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I like all your lovely mushroom pics!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kylee Baumle said...

Ooooh! I love these! You know, in that last picture, they look like pancakes! LOL