Saturday, September 29, 2007

Queeny Purple Hollyhocks


Over the next few weeks, I hope to do several posts on some of the flowers I consider to be "Keepers" in my garden.... some new to me this year that I liked well enough to grow again, as well as some favorites I have grown for years.




This was my first year to grow Hollyhock 'Queeny Purple', a dwarf plant growing to only 2 - 3 ft. I planted mine in a large pot, from winter sown seed purchased from Parks. They had a long blooming season, which started well ahead of the regular Hollyhocks. Although I usually prefer the single old fashioned Hollyhocks, I found this one to be quite charming!




'Queeny' stopped blooming in the heat of late summer and set seed, but gave me another flush of blooms, on the same stalks, when the nights began to cool. This photo shows a single fall bloom....it looks a bit more pinky-purple than the earlier blooms. The flowers in the background are 'Apricot Profusion' Zinnias, which I grew around the edges of the same container, with the 3 hollyhock plants in the center. I liked this combination, as the zinnias are still giving me color, now that the Hollyhocks are no longer blooming.




14 comments:

O.I.M said...

that is an awesome hollyhock. i tried for years to grow some but they always looked terrible. I don't know what i was doing wrong but i eventually gave up. obviously you are doing something very right.
irena

Gina said...

connie - these are beautiful! I love the fact that they are shorter. the double hollyhock I bought this summer is huge but never bloomed. I think i'll try this one. I'm so jazzed about the winter sowing - i have all my containers piled up in the basement. i sure hope it's as easy as you make it sound.

Chelle said...

oh-la-la, those are gorgeous!

the lucky girly that gets to call you mother!

Melissa said...

You had better save some seed!! :)They are lovely.d

Reginas Cottage said...

The hollyhock flowers is beautiful,
I love hollyhock but I haven't in my
garden.
Regina

Catherine said...

My Queenie got only about 8 inches tall with few blooms. YOURS! looks lovely, so maybe I'll try again.

kris said...

Beautiful! I've never grown hollyhocks from seed - I've always put in baby plants neighbors have given me - and like you, I've always preferred the old-fashioned singles. But these are gorgeous, and I'd be tempted to try them next year. I love it when you get that second bloom too.

Andrea's Garden said...

How beautiful, I have never seen one like that. It also looks really healthy which is always a struggle with the regular hollyhocks. Andrea

Anonymous said...

The hollyhocks are beautiful flowers, aren't they. Mine are still blooming here in the Northeast. I can't wait to plant some more next year.
maria

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

This is indeed a pretty hollyhock and it not getting that tall is a bonus too. I like both the single and double flowered ones.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I LOVE your Hollyhock! I am keeping it in mind for next spring.

Anonymous said...

Oh, lucky you. The hollyhocks are outstanding.

Anonymous said...

I grew these this year, too, but put them in the ground. Did you get your seed from Pinetree Garden Seeds in Maine?

For some reason, I could not get a good photo of them. Yours is great!

Connie said...

Sandy - If I remember correctly, the seed was from Parks.